Setina Vellic - Character Background

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Setina Vellic - Character Background

- Out of Character -

Due to the lack of translated lore this is going to be somewhat of a work-in-progress. I might have to adjust some things as we learn more about the game. I have roughly translated what I could from the Russian and Korean sites, but they still lack much information about the game's 'current' timeline/setting. So I am going to make up some things (primarily focused on my own character) that I think are reasonable, and adjust things as I have to. Please feel free to leave comments here or through other communication.

*This information is predominantly out of character information that your characters would not be aware of*

- Description -

With her meticulously maintained and scrubbed silvered plate armor, Vellic looks built for war. She is somewhat taller and more stout than the average woman and her figure does not immediately seem to be particularly appealing. However, it is truly difficult to tell due to the hefty plate and mail armor padding and pressing in her more womanly features. Such protrusions are, after all, generally more of a hindrance in battle. Her armor is generally recently scrubbed of grime and conceals most of her body. The steel shield resting along her back appears somewhat light and bears the sigil of her house - a rampant version of the mythological hydra, bearing three heads.

A cascade of silken, onyx hair falls back from behind her polished helm; usually tightly wound into a thick whip-like braid. Emerald eyes gaze forth through the slits in her hawkish helm where the visor swoops down like a vicious beak; making her seem almost like some metallic bird-of-prey. A heavy, thick-bladed broadsword rests at her left hip, seeming plain enough if well-kept. Without her mask her skin is mostly smooth but with a natural darker complexion. A faint scar marrs her left jaw, visible as a paler line against her slightly darker skin. Her facial features appear somewhat slim and aquiline, angular and almost hawkish like her helm.

- Personality -

Vellic normally tries to appear calm and collected and can be quite approachable and sociable when needed. However, she is quite excitable in battle and quick to anger when she thinks she has been insulted or dishonored. She has a tactical mind and tends to brood over the future and the present, considering the past to be worth little consideration, but her excitability and quickness to anger often leads her to act swiftly once battle has begun. The best laid plans never survive the first few moments of battle - particularly if she is involved. She can sometimes lose sight of the overarching goal once her blood-lust has risen. Yet she has a curious mind and a keen interest in the metaphysical, even if she does not hold a particular aptitude for it.

- Quirks -

Vellic enjoys many types of alcohol but tends to display moderation in its consumption. She tends to listen to finer, gentler music that she considers more fitting of high-society; yet she does not particularly enjoy it - finding more pleasure in rhythmic drum beats and more raucous celebrations. She has an interest in reading about magic and alchemy and is rather curious about more modern mechanations, but has little interest in reading about history.

- Background -

A few obscure historical texts across the lands note tales of the royal family of Calpheon - of families related through cousins and marriages; tales and rumors which suggest many died out over the years, likely through less-than natural means. As time went on, it is suggested, these lesser houses were destroyed or otherwise died off, leaving primarily the main royal line left to govern Calpheon. At some time, ages past, House Vellic came to reside in Serendia. Their history speaks of great former prominence and a line of noble royalty; yet of that there is little real evidence and the family has not held any true prominence in generations.

For generations they continued as a minor merchant house, which nevertheless maintained a fierce pride and skill-at-arms. The ambition to rise once again was never far from their minds, yet in the face of greater houses and continual wars such a feat seemed unlikely. As the West raised its armies and marched on Valencia, House Vellic raised a fine, if small, fighting force for the cause. The black stones could be claimed and make their family great once again!

The war and vast desert brought on a so-called desert madness in some few individuals, including some in their very family. Though well hidden, it almost seemed to follow through the family like a magical taint; driving several to self-destructive passions. Setina was born in the midst of a failing family. Their eldest were of failing health and their finances were dwindling. Her parents named her after her great-grandfather Set, who was one of the most notable warriors in their family's history. Perhaps war would succeed where trade had failed to reclaim her family's prominence.

Disease, old-age, and hunger seemed intent on widdling away her nearest family members and many of their trade caravans were being ransacked by the encroaching monsters that seemed intent on ravaging the western lands. Setina left with a friend of hers, a slightly older sorceress who helped guide and instruct her; and they each set to guarding the last family trade caravan. They were out in the wild for months, only briefly visiting settlements before venturing out again. Then word reached Setina of her mother's mysterious death - killed in their home. She was the last elder of their house and Setina had never been trained on running the mercantile operations. She was far away when word reached her and it was not long before the remaining trade masters at their estate had made off with what possessions and merchandise remained in their home.

Their desperation had taken them far away deep into Media, where they had hoped to fetch a good price for many wares including a black stone their family had cherished since the wars. They were torn between returning home and completing their trade mission - but Setina decided to continue on. Her mind had turned to her family's age-old dream of ascendance, yet she dreamt of even more. No mere position of influence, but the crown itself. Either way, she would need money for whatever her next course of action was to be. On their journeys they had battled many savage beasts, but they were soon set upon by a host of goblinoids. They found themselves harried and pursued across the lands - and badly outnumbered. They continued to flee until Setina could bear it no longer. Rallying the guards they made their stand, pitting steel and sorcery against goblin brutality.

As if sensing the dark dreams within her mind, goblin fire set upon their caravan and burned the goods within. The cries of her men soon filled her ears as many of them perished at goblin hands, yet the battle itself was not all lost. Though a poisoned barb was shot through her armor, Setina pressed on furiously and the goblins withdrew to let them all die of exposure. Yet that was not to be her death. She and her friend took up the black stone and their last unharmed guardsman and they invoked a dark sorcery. His will surrendered to hers. His vibrance dimmed to brighten her own. His life became hers. Darkness overtook all of the world and as she rose she felt a terrible hunger unlike anything she had known before. This was true power.

Setina set her destination back to Serendia, preferring to use Vellic as her name now. She was the last major member of her family left and she wished to keep that name alive. And it seemed somehow more respectful for people to call to her by her family name, rather than the familiar one. In Serendia she would find an empty, ransacked home - but the former servants would also find her as a shadow in their steps; come to reclaim everything that had been stolen.
      In all the universe there is but one thing that matters... Blood, calls out for blood.
    • o.0!

is this what is think it is?!

could this be the giant counter part!!!!

shield and broad sword as weapons? i wonder how that is going to work out? broad sword requires both hands?
      DIVINE IS RECRUITING! message soultaker13th or Arorus on skype or forum

• Vellic wrote:

- Out of Character -

Due to the lack of translated lore this is going to be somewhat of a work-in-progress. I might have to adjust some things as we learn more about the game. I have roughly translated what I could from the Russian and Korean sites, but they still lack much information about the game's 'current' timeline/setting.

=O damn... i thought this was a preview for a new class/ character that is coming up in the game...

• Arorus wrote:

Vellic wrote:

- Out of Character -

Due to the lack of translated lore this is going to be somewhat of a work-in-progress. I might have to adjust some things as we learn more about the game. I have roughly translated what I could from the Russian and Korean sites, but they still lack much information about the game's 'current' timeline/setting.

=O damn... i thought this was a preview for a new class/ character that is coming up in the game...

That's what I thought your mistake was :whistling:

Just some good old fashioned forum RP bio.
    • Nice story. I hope you follow through on it.
      I used to write long stories of my character development through my games. But for some reason I can't do that without a name. I just need a name first. Once my personality is born the story starts. I am sorry for you people, it will not be in English.
      I don't RP with other people, but some times they become a part of my personality's story.
      The Sims were my favorite subject of long stories with lots of pictures :)

• Thanks!

Yeah, I'd like to RP in the game - and on the forums pre-launch - and I often end up running my own guild or being prominent in guild leadership, so I wanted a character with lofty goals. I also kind of felt like playing someone antagonistic this time around, someone rather adversarial.
      In all the universe there is but one thing that matters... Blood, calls out for blood.